Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > News & interviews forum > [GPRO Oscars] Unofficial S90 Community Awards - Voting Stage Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist
Page « 1 2 [34 5 » Quick go to page:
Author Topic: [GPRO Oscars] Unofficial S90 Community Awards - Voting Stage 125 replies
Sebastian Jóźwiak
(Group Amateur - 54)

Poland 
Certified: 
Like this post (1)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #61 posted Jan 13th 2023, 20:23:34 (last edited Jan 13th 2023, 20:29:42 by Sebastian Jóźwiak) Quote 
Me! Will vote in a minute :)

EDIT: Done!
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 15)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Like this post (0)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #62 posted Jan 13th 2023, 20:57:59 Quote 
Quote ( Mairo Toom @ January 13th 2023,16:53:40 )

Yeah, even though I joined in 2006 as a kid, I'm an aged kid now. Defo not a grown up.

I can confirm this - Mairo is definitely not a grown up. Can't ever see that being the case :P

Sounds like we have an Oscars after all....I've got a busy day tomorrow but hopefully (depending on when Kyle sorts the images etc.) should come on Sunday or later...
Kyle Morris
(Group Amateur - 42)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #63 posted Jan 13th 2023, 21:42:46 Quote 
Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ January 13th 2023,20:57:59 )

(depending on when Kyle sorts the images etc.

probably tomorrow lunchtime
Steven Hill
(Group Pro - 19)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #64 posted Jan 16th 2023, 20:51:01 Quote 
Quote ( Richard Robin Paukson @ January 13th 2023,13:03:25 )

That's probably because the same people keep nominating, and naturally we follow our friends/acquaintances the closest. And Ric's point was that you could be the one to change the trend, by nominating people that the rest of us have missed if it's so important to you, instead of leaving it up to us to put in the extra work/research.

The point of the Oscar's is to nominate people you think are deserving of the award for a particular category, not your mates/acquaintances.

What further research?? Seems like you don't look far if it is just your friends?acquaintances!!

I don't want to get into a bitch fight over this, this is my observations of the current situation of the Oscar's. Yes, we had the Xmas & New Year period but I believe that this in no excuse for the lack of voters/votes as most managers were online to setup their cars during this period.

Rant over!!!

Steven Hill
(Group Pro - 19)

Australia 
Certified: 
Old post #65 posted Jan 16th 2023, 20:55:24 (last edited Jan 16th 2023, 20:57:00 by Steven Hill) Quote 
Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ January 13th 2023,12:23:12 )

However, if you're not nominating, you accept which nominees come afloat and you sort of lose all grounds to complain about it, if you get what I mean. If you want someone new to be nominated, then nominate that new person.

I do accept those who are nominated, hence why I vote. If I didn't I would not vote.

My point is that the same people are being nominated and that is what is making the Oscar's boring for managers.

Edit: Apologies for the double post :(
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 50)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Like this post (7)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #66 posted Jan 17th 2023, 09:56:19 Quote 
Some seasons I do nominations, others I don't. Usually, when I choose not to, it's either because I haven't been following things much that season or due to simple lack of brain space to figure out some good noms.

I feel general forum activity has been lower lately, and some of the more active people from seasons past are currently not that active. Also note that the activity gain during high Covid times is washing off again, since most parts of the world are returning to pre-Covid routine.

Add to this that online discussions in general are *very* touchy feely nowadays, with cancel culture and the obvious conflict in Eastern Europe, and you have a great list of ways to kill forum activity.

Then there's a few Oscars-specific constructs that certainly have their goals, but don't help increase the quantity of attention:

- Nominating or voting for your own (team).

Skipping a lot of votes doesn't help. People asking others to nominate someone they can't nominate themselves due to these rules doesn't help. Yes, it absolutely serves a purpose to prevent the people with the largest teams from winning.

- It's not very accessible.

Often have I cursed the Google Form for not having the descriptions/names. Copy/pasting and filling in the nominees is also easy to get turned off by. For a regular Forum Games player this is probably not too much of a threshold but if it's holding back a middle aged dad who likes playing text based games, imagine what it does for newer generations who thrive on readily accessible information.

- There's a few categories that don't really serve a purpose.

Best Crew Member is a vote between the same 3-4 people every season. Kissing Crew Ass is getting really old really fast.

The HoF has been saturated. Putting someone in there every season feels very forced. The fact that I am actually *nominated* for this has to be saying enough. In my eyes, a HoF should be based on merit, it should be possible to put multiple people in and if it has to be a regularly occurring thing, it should be once every 5-10 seasons or so.

I do have some thoughts that might help in getting an Award Ceremony that serves a broader purpose than the forum regulars:

- Include awards based on pure merit. We could celebrate the OBR winners, someone with the largest amount of randoms, the Longest/Shortest Pit Stop Award, just spitballin' here. The goal is to make it not just be a popularity contest, but also to include people that would not necessarily be involved with the awards. Celebrate statistics!
The best part may be that this doesn't even require extra work for the community.

- Taking this to a broader context with including statistics might help in opening up the door to get more exposure. I know the struggle to get these awards to be Official and putting out a notification has been going on for a looooong while. Maybe it's a good idea to reach out to El Vladeriño to discuss what would make a good award show in his eyes (provided that the problem here isn't the fact that it's an award show). I have no idea what has and has not been talked about of course, but I'm speaking out on my hopes here.

- Permanent records! What if there was a page, internal or external, where you can flip through the results of Oscars Past? And if we're talking about hosting something, maybe that can be used to incorporate an awesome voting system too?

- A better technical solution. I realize it's been a metric crapton of work, every season, to get nominees sorted, creating the forms, lists, diagrams, graphics, counting votes, all dat shiz. It doesn't have to be manual labour each and every time. Sprucing things up with a more fancy-pantsy solution will inadvertently make things more attractive too.
Liviu Sandu
(Group Amateur - 26)

Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #67 posted Jan 17th 2023, 10:47:57 Quote 
Quote ( Thijs Rieken @ January 17th 2023,09:56:19 )

A better technical solution. I realize it's been a metric crapton of work, every season, to get nominees sorted, creating the forms, lists, diagrams, graphics, counting votes, all dat shiz. It doesn't have to be manual labour each and every time. Sprucing things up with a more fancy-pantsy solution will inadvertently make things more attractive too.
I offer to help...for free...
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 50)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #68 posted Jan 17th 2023, 12:03:00 Quote 
Oh yeah my post is not meant to be only words either. I have the skills and background required to actually do something about it
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 15)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #69 posted Jan 17th 2023, 21:07:56 Quote 
Sounds good - I wonder if perhaps each season we could do a more stripped back version with just some key categories (alongside more fact-based winners, so no voting needed)...and then do a bigger annual Oscars award ceremony, which could hopefully be made official?

NB - for this one, I'm working on it...but a nightmare week of work has hit at just the wrong time. Kyle has done his part, but I'm likely to need a few more days to sort my parts out.
Niels Van Heijster
(Group Amateur - 13)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #70 posted Jan 17th 2023, 23:25:51 Quote 
Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ January 17th 2023,21:07:56 )

but I'm likely to need a few more days to sort my parts out.

Better leave that to the Mrs. She'll might be quicker "sorting your parts"! ;)
Roy Mitchell
(Group Amateur - 47)

Canada 
Certified: 
Old post #71 posted Jan 18th 2023, 04:21:17 (last edited Jan 18th 2023, 04:22:51 by Roy Mitchell) Quote 
Oy, she's a tough 'un!

I misread that as 'serving your parts'!!
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 50)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #72 posted Jan 18th 2023, 08:58:51 Quote 
Quote ( Niels Van Heijster @ January 17th 2023,23:25:51 )

Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ January 17th 2023,21:07:56 )

but I'm likely to need a few more days to sort my parts out.
Better leave that to the Mrs. She'll might be quicker "sorting your parts"! ;)

He needs to part with his shorts so she can sort his parts :P
Bálint Turi-Kováts
(Group Retired)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #73 posted Jan 21st 2023, 09:56:07 Quote 
Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ June 20th 2022,23:05:40 )

@Bálint Turi-Kováts (Ret) I fear is no longer around, but he is welcome to make an acceptance speech if he sees this, but @Jun Ho (P14) you may want to make yours on behalf of both of you...!

I'm responding in the wrong season, but this notification was a really neat sight to see when I checked back on this site :) Thank you, glad to see FGen being remembered.

Wait was there no ceremony this time around? Or am I just blind
Kyle Morris
(Group Amateur - 42)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #74 posted Jan 21st 2023, 14:18:55 Quote 
It just hasn't happened yet 🤣
Bálint Turi-Kováts
(Group Rookie - 25)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #75 posted Jan 21st 2023, 14:29:41 Quote 
Thanks for waiting for me ;)
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 15)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #76 posted Jan 21st 2023, 15:51:12 (last edited Jan 22nd 2023, 17:18:52 by Jonathan Beagles) Quote 
Yep I've had a horrendous week - and a very busy weekend. I'm hoping to have time on e.g. Monday or Tuesday evening to sort this :)

EDIT - My wife has just made a great point; I'm in London on Monday and Tuesday evening and she is not :( We are both busy on Wednesday...but Thursday is doable :)
Mairo Toom
(Group Amateur - 47)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #77 posted Jan 26th 2023, 07:36:26 Quote 
Not to hurry anyone. This post serves as a reminder.
Sagar Abhyankar
(Group Pro - 1)

India 
Certified: 
Old post #78 posted Jan 26th 2023, 07:49:39 (last edited Jan 26th 2023, 07:49:48 by Sagar Abhyankar) Quote 
Are Awards going to take place or not?

Ivan Silva
(Group Elite)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #79 posted Jan 26th 2023, 08:37:34 Quote 
At this point i suggest you take some time and just prepare for S91. Perhaps will give more time to people to show up too
Ioannis Kalogirou
(Group Master - 5)

Greece 
Certified: 
Like this post (2)   Dislike this post (0)
Old post #80 posted Jan 26th 2023, 09:00:29 Quote 
...it is time to finally deal with the real problems of our game.
...it is time for those who bury them systematically, to throw the shovels away, to open their minds and to be compiled with everyone who wants to save our game.!!!

Good Morning from Beautiful Sithonia/Chalkidiki/Greece.!!!
Ricardo Antunes
(Group Pro - 2)

Portugal 
Certified: 
Old post #81 posted Jan 26th 2023, 10:13:05 Quote 
Guys, relax, Jon said he was going to record the videos today so clearly we need to wait a bit until we get them :P
Liviu Sandu
(Group Amateur - 26)

Romania 
Certified: 
Old post #82 posted Jan 26th 2023, 10:13:21 Quote 
According to the title, we are in the voting phase. So there is still time.
Jun Ho
(Group Pro - 14)

Hong Kong 
Certified: 
Old post #83 posted Jan 26th 2023, 10:18:32 Quote 
Quote ( Ricardo Antunes @ January 26th 2023,10:13:05 )

Guys, relax, Jon said he was going to record the videos today so clearly we need to wait a bit until we get them :P

Maybe not today for him.
Richard Robin Paukson
(Group Amateur - 16)

Estonia 
Certified: 
Old post #84 posted Jan 26th 2023, 13:50:32 Quote 
Quote ( Jun Ho @ January 26th 2023,10:18:32 )

Maybe not today for him.

So ominous...
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 15)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #85 posted Jan 26th 2023, 23:13:06 Quote 
Sadly I've been off work ill today - absolutely shattered and so no chance of recording the videos.

Tomorrow it's incredibly unlikely - I'll either still be ill or it's my wife's birthday and we're leaving straight after work. So Saturday at the earliest - if I can't get them done this weekend, then we will come up with another solution.
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 50)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #86 posted Jan 27th 2023, 10:43:34 Quote 
Hope you get well and have a good celebration! Congratulations to Mrs. Beagles :)
Jonathan Beagles
(Group Pro - 15)

Topic mod
England 
Certified: 
Old post #87 posted Jan 28th 2023, 12:43:33 Quote 
I've got the flu - I'm out of action for at least a week. Another plan is being formed...
Thijs Rieken
(Group Amateur - 50)

Netherlands 
Certified: 
Old post #88 posted Jan 28th 2023, 19:04:52 Quote 
Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ January 28th 2023,12:43:33 )

I've got the flu - I'm out of action for at least a week. Another plan is being formed...

I always suspected you were an influenza
Tibor Szuromi
(Group Pro - 5)

Hungary 
Certified: 
Old post #89 posted Jan 28th 2023, 19:19:09 Quote 
Quote ( Jonathan Beagles @ January 28th 2023,12:43:33 )

Sweating "together" helps.
Stuart Foster
(Group Amateur - 26)

England 
Certified: 
Old post #90 posted Jan 28th 2023, 19:38:35 Quote 
What if the oscars was run in intermittent seasons....so every other season....rather than each season? That still means 3 oscars per year...but might work better than doing it EVERY season. The amount of forum traffic has probably dropped enough, and that at least allows for more content and such to consider with the categories/nominations. Having them EVERY season could be overkill. Not that it isn't enjoyable and that Kyle (and Jon) do a great job of it, just that it might be better doing it like that? Or as someone else mentioned of only having certain categories once a year or something.
Page « 1 2 [34 5 » Quick go to page:
Grand Prix Racing Online Forum > News & interviews forum > [GPRO Oscars] Unofficial S90 Community Awards - Voting Stage Add this topic to your ignore list Add this topic to your watchlist

Reply to this topic